Sunday, February 29, 2004

I asked G to remind me of all the names of the "weird" ;) foods I ate in Colombia, here's what he sent me plus my comments in italics:

>The first days:

- Granadilla: the fruit you didn't like :-( Ok, this fruit was really weird... it was like a sweet, almost mucus-y mass with lots of little black seeds that were apparently ok to swallow, but yeah... I just couldn't do it. the seeds were a little smaller than watermelon seeds, it looked kind of like it was going to peel like an orange, but then it cracked open somewhat like an egg...
- Sweets of corozo, níspero
- Curuba ice cream at Jackie's (Molli fruit??) Yeah, that was really yum! a bit tangy

juices of
- Corozo (red fruit with a seed in the middle)
- Maracuyá (fruit of passion)
- Zapote
- Níspero (brown fruit)
- Melón (water melon) Hey, I know this one!
- Guayaba (guava)
- Naranja y mandarina. (sweet juices) I know this one too, oranges and tangerines! :D
- Tomate de árbol (tamarillo??)

- Empanadas de queso (corn wrapped cheese) this was yummy, but I was only allowed to have it once :( pretty heavy actually, I think they deep fryed the stuff. It's a cornmeal dough around soft melted cheese. I had it before I was sick, so they thought maybe somehow it was connected.... I kind of doubt it, I'm still voting for water...
- Buñuelos (rounded corn brownish thing)
- Peto caliente (white corn and cheese in milk that my dad gave you, from the guy with the portable kitchen) was there cheese in this? it had cinnamon too, kind of like a hot cereal thing really



I'll put up more as I remember... maybe even my recipies...

No comments: