Sunday, February 19, 2006

To Barranquilla

We had to get up way early to go to the airport, which unfortunately meant we had to miss the included breakfast.

Our cab driver Leonardo was very nice. He has a with daughter in Santa Monica, and he spoke a little English. He would tell us things in both languages, it was much more fun and easy going than the way to the hotel the night before. Maybe also a little easier since we were more rested...

The flight was late, but of course we had no idea what was going on, so I sat there getting cold and hungry and desparately hoping I hadn't missed the announcement to get on the plane. Bogota is in the mountains, and much colder than Barranquilla, but I didn't know that, and had dressed for the coast. Lucky for me mom had her coat still in her carry-on.

The flight attendants had Carnaval aprons, and the inflight magazine had a Carnaval article. I was able to read a little bit of it. It might just be me, but it seems like it's gotten a bit more tourist centered in the past two years. Maybe sometime soon they'll have better explainations in English of all of the history and significance of the different characters and traditions.

It seemed like forever for our bags to come once we got to Barranquilla. I kept trying to see if G was outside waiting, but it wasn't until we actually got our bags and started going out that I saw him, with a nice haircut! He and his dad were both there. It was such a relief to see them both.

G's mom made us breakfast, and it was nice to see that my arepas (cornmeal cakes) aren't as far off as I thought. I think Collin was really happy to see us, he'd slept for most of 2 of the three days he'd been there already.

A family friend they call "Pochi" came by to do everyone's nails. She had a whole arsenal of tools for picking and poking at my fingers and toes. I was a little nervous because of all the things I've read where they say not to let people cut the cuticles because of risk of infection, not to mention it hurt! :( She seemed to know what she was doing though. I would have liked to get french tips, but my nails were too short since I was keeping them short for playing guitar, so I just went for white.


Pedicure, originally uploaded by Heather and Gilberto.


Marta is on the left, working on the masks.

G's family found a guitar for me to play, but it's horridly out of tune, and I'm no good at tuning by ear. Sigh.

It was nice to catch up with with G's fam, and see the new baby Julian David! What a cutie, with crazy hair that's always sticking up!

I had to keep reminding myself that the party was the very next day! G's mom and some of the other girls were making dozens of pretty little masks for people to wear at the party, since it was so close to carnaval time. yay!

No comments: